Prep time: 20 minutes
Total time: 1 hour, 20 minutes
- 3 large eggs
- 2 large egg whites
- 12 ounce can low fat evaporated milk
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 to 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper (to taste)
- 5 slices nitrate-free bacon, cooked and crumbled
- 2/3 cup grated reduced-fat Swiss cheese (about 2 ounces)
- 4 scallions, sliced
- 1 frozen whole-wheat pie shell
- Preheat over to 375 F.
- In a large bowl, whisk together eggs and egg whites.
- Add evaporate milk, salt, and cayenne pepper, whisk to combine.
- Stir in bacon, cheese, and scallions.
- Pour the batter into the frozen pie shell.
- Bake the quick in the center of the oven for 45 to 50 minutes or until the filling is puffed and the middle is slightly wobbly. (When you insert a thin knife into the center, it should come out moist; the filling will continue to set as it cools.)
- Cool on a rack for 10 minutes.
- Slice into 8 wedges and serve.
Tip of the Day
Snack on this. Have healthy snacks available at home and bring healthy snacks to eat when on-the-go, such as carrot and celery sticks or whole-grain crackers and low-fat cheese.